WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
Name of Product: Ice/Hot and Ice Gel Packs
Importer: California Innovations Inc., of Toronto, Canada
Hazard: If the packs become damaged, they can leak gel that could contain diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol, which can cause illness if ingested in large amounts.
Incidents/Injuries: There have been no new reports of incidents or injuries.
Description: The recalled products are Cryofreeze ice/hot packs and Arctic Zone ice packs. The packs are gel-filled plastic pouches with either transparent or opaque sealed wrappers. They are used to keep food hot or cold. The gel packs were sold separately and with a variety of lunch boxes, coolers and thermal carriers. Six gel pack styles are being recalled:
- Cryofreeze ice/hot packs in small and large styles. Both have opaque blue wrappers with the words “Cryofreeze,” “Ice Pack/Hot Pack,” “Non-toxic” and “Reusable” printed on the front:
- The small gel pack is 6 inches wide and 5.5 inches high
- The large gel pack is 8.5 inches wide and 8 inches high
- One 3-cell pack has three connected rectangular-shaped pouches of blue gel and is 7.85 inches wide and 5.5 inches high.
- Another 3-cell pack has three connected square-shaped pouches of blue gel and is 7.6 inches wide and 3 inches high.
- The 2-cell pack has two connected square-shaped pouches of blue gel and is 5 inches wide and 3 inches high.
Sold at: Mass merchandise and warehouse stores, other retailers, distributors and on-line sellers nationwide between July 2007 and December 2008 in items that retailed between $5 and $28.
Manufactured in: China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the gel packs and dispose of them according to federal, state and/or local regulations. It is recommended that consumers contact their local waste disposal authority for instructions. Consumers can contact California Innovations to receive a $6 cash refund for large (8.5-inch x 8-inch) Cryofreeze gel packs or a $5 cash refund for all other gel packs.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, call California Innovations at (800) 722-2545 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the firm’s website at www.californiainnovations.com
See other articles about Recalls